children’s residential services


We provide residential children’s workers for residential care environments who provide a physically, emotionally, and psychologically safe atmosphere where children and young people can heal and develop. Many young patients will be in care due to experiencing problems at home in relation to neglect or some other form of abuse but may also be there due to challenging behaviour that cannot be suitably cared for elsewhere, and therefore need the dedicated compassion and support of a residential worker or senior care professional.

A career in healthcare can be extremely rewarding as you will be directly impacting the life of a patient who needs your compassion and empathy to live a happy and supported life. While the core objective for us is ensuring quality patient care, we also want to make sure that we find you the role you want that will fits your needs and career aspirations.

We offer temporary permanent, and contract roles in a range of different settings; some of our staff choose to work with us on a full-time basis and others work occasional nights, days, weekends, or during holiday periods. It is entirely up to you and we offer flexibility in a range of different locations and settings to make sure we find you the most suitable role.

what can I do in children’s residential services?

There are lots of different roles in healthcare. In mental children’s residential environments, we work with our clients to offer vacancies in the following positions depending on your skillset:

  • managers and senior care professionals, including: General Managers, Deputy Managers, Clinical Leads, Unit Managers, Team Leaders, Administration and general supporting staff.
    • All care facilities are run by a skilled team of senior members of staff, that are responsible for the overall running of the service and cover everything from Budgeting and staffing to care planning and maintaining CQC standards.
  • Residential Children’s Worker (RCW)
    • RCWs are necessarily child-focused. It involves getting to know new children and helping them begin to feel secure, then providing ongoing care and support to build their confidence and teach coping skills. It also involves liaising with health and education personnel to ensure that they get proper access to other services.

what qualifications do I need to work here?

The required qualifications will depend on what role you will be doing, but may include the following:

  • an in-date DBS or valid certificate currently registered on the update service.

Before working in any healthcare role, you should have the following mandatory training. gap healthcare provides refresher training on all the below certifications.

  • manual handling
  • basic life support
  • infection control
  • safeguarding of vulnerable adults (SOVA)
  • food hygiene
  • fire training
  • first aid awareness
  • confidentiality (data protection, information governance or information sharing)
  • health & safety
  • challenging behaviour – support worker only
  • dementia awareness – HCAs only

what skills do I need to have?

Working in healthcare can be demanding and requires an outstanding ability to relate to people from
all walks of life with a consistent level of kindness, communication, and professionalism.

  • possess a genuinely caring and compassionate approach to vulnerable people.
  • be friendly and cheerful with patients, colleagues, and extended network e.g. a patient’s family.
  • the ability to work well with others.
  • patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
  • the ability to work well under pressure.
  • display genuine empathy.
  • to be flexible and open to change.
  • excellent verbal communication skills.